WeCount! is organizing a week of activities March 19 – 24, opposing efforts by some Florida politicians to pass laws like Arizona’s infamous SB 1070 that will increase racial profiling and the persecution of those who “look foreign” due to their race, appearance or how they speak.
The week of actions organized by WeCount! is part of the Florida Immigrant Coalition’s “We Are Florida” campaign to defeat racial profiling laws in Tallahassee.
Several bills have been filed for the upcoming legislative session in Tallahassee. The provisions in these bills include:
- requiring the police to verify immigration status of persons during a legal stop if “reasonable suspicion” exists that they are undocumented
- requiring jails to determine the immigration status of all detainees, and police to enter into 287g agreements with ICE to enforce immigration law
- prohibiting any state or local agency from limiting immigration law enforcement or inter-agency sharing of information about a person’s immigration status, and giving any legal resident of the state the right to sue if an agency is in violation of this provision
- state sanctions, including fines and jail time, for legal immigrants who don’t carry their original immigration documents in public
- requiring that all employers use the federal E-Verify employment verification data base, with suspension of an employer’s business license for knowingly hiring an undocumented person.
WHY SOMOS HOMESTEAD? Homestead is a beautiful, multicultural, multilingual community. Our strength is in our diversity, cultures, families, communities of faith, and working men and women. We value the contributions of all communities, including immigrants, whatever their immigration status, to our community and our state.
We reject the criminalization and exclusion of parts of our community. We call for real solutions to our problems, not the scapegoating of immigrants. We invite the community to join us in celebrating the contributions of our diverse community. Let’s say no to racial profiling and the politics of exclusion!!
SOMOS HOMESTEAD CALENDAR OF ACTIVITIES:
Saturday, March 19, 5:00 p.m. – WOMEN’S AND CHILDREN’S MARCH. Gather at First United Methodist Church, 622 N. Krome Ave. 6:30 p.m. – 10:30 p.m. – CULTURAL NIGHT. Music, dance, children’s activities and more!
Sunday, March 20, 2:00 p.m. – SOCCER MATCH. Field behind Homestead Middle School.
Monday, March 21, 12 Noon – FILM: “abUSed: The Postville Raid.” Documentary by Luis Argueta. Miami-Dade College, Homestead Campus.
Tuesday, March 22, 6:30 p.m. – WE ARE ONE: Interfaith Service. Organized by Homestead-area communities of faith. First United Methodist Church, 622 N. Krome Ave., Homestead.
Wednesday, March 23, 7:00 p.m. – MOVIE NIGHT: “La Misma Luna.” WeCount!, 201-207 N. Krome Ave.
Thursday, March 24, 6:30 p.m. – 9:00 p.m. – TOWN HALL MEETING: Civil Rights and the Threat of Anti-Immigrant Legislation. Community Center, Everglades Village, 19308 SW 380 St., Florida City. There will be transportation from WeCount!’s office at 6:00 p.m.
NO TO ARIZONA-STYLE LAWS IN FLORIDA!!!